Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Spending some time in the D . . . . . . . .

and I'm not talking about Dallas.  I had to go to downtown Detroit today to get a new 31 day pass for the SMART buses.  Because of the weather I had planned on waiting until lunch time to head down.  While passing the time at home I received a text from a good friend asking if I wanted to meet for lunch.  Gave her a call and we coordinated which bus we would meet on.  My friend, her son and I then spent some time in downtown Detroit.  The highlight of the trip for my friend's son was when he got to ride the "choo choo" which is what he calls the Detroit People Mover.  He thinks it's cool that there is no driver on the train.


My friend's son's position for most of the round trip.  The only time he moved was when we were nearing the Detroit River as he wanted to see the water.

Comerica Park (home of the Detroit Tigers) with Ford Field (home of the Detroit Lions) in background.  The two stadiums are next door to each other.

Looking up Gratiot Avenue.  I live off this street but in another county.

One of the streets in Greektown

Entrance to the Detroit-Windsor tunnel

Coleman Young Municipal Center in foreground with a skywalk connecting it to the Millender Center which in turn has a skywalk that connects to the Renaissance Center, which is also General Motors World Headquarters.

Spirit of Detroit statue in front of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center

Looking at General Motors World Headquarters while crossing Jefferson Avenue

O Canada!  Looking across the Detroit River at Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Looking out the front of the train at the Ambassador Bridge in the distance. The Ambassador Bridge is the only place where you actually go South to go to Canada.  Just a little piece of trivia for you. 


Joe Louis Arena (home of the Detroit Red Wings) with some of the Detroit skyline

Rosa Parks Transit Center.  This is the main transfer point for most of the D-DOT buses that arrive in the downtown area and the Gratiot and Van Dyke routes from SMART.

Some of the artwork in the Times Square station.  There is artwork of different types in each of the stations.  I used to have pictures of it all but need to rephotograph them.  Hopefully one day soon I will be able to post about the art in the stations.  There are many hidden gems in City of Detroit.

One such gem my friend and I discovered today was the Motown Cafe.  They are a small place with maybe 20 seats.  I think they do the majority of their business as carryout.  I had what was listed as 21 popcorn shrimp combo which came with fries and a side of coleslaw.  The shrimp were the biggest "popcorn" shrimp I'd ever seen.  The coleslaw was very yummy.  Not sickingly sweet like most places that serve it.  All I did was add some black pepper to it.  Fries were perfectly done and were seasoned with a seasoning combo.  Still trying to figure out what all was in it.

Well, it's getting near time for the UNC vs Duke game to start.  Need to go get a small bit of dessert before settling in to watch it.

Take care all.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erin!
    That was awesome!! I enjoyed the pictures, and that is so neat that you can see Canada:) There weren't any cars...LOL...all you see here in Cali, is cars:) Thank you for inviting me to your new blog:)

    I will add you to my blog list!

    Julieann

    ReplyDelete